Cyclone Asani is a name given by Sri Lanka that means ‘wrath’ in Sinhalese. India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Sunday morning said that the cyclonic storm named ‘Asani’ is expected to further intensify in the next 24 hours.
Cyclone Asani: Live updates
Here are the key points-
* Met department forecast squally weather with strong winds over Kerala in coming days under influence of CycloneAsani the severe cyclone storm formed in the Bay of Bengal.
* An alert has been sounded in Andhra Pradesh, Odisha & West Bengal. Heavy rain is likely to lash these states from tomorrow.
* IMD said Cyclone Asani is expected to get stronger, but will not be make landfall either in Odisha or Andhra Pradesh.
* Odisha government has said it has not lowered its guard even after getting information that the cyclone will not hit the state’s coast.
* Light to moderate rainfall is very likely to commence from Tuesday evening at many places over districts of coastal Odisha and heavy rainfall (7 -11cm) is very likely to occur at one or two places over the districts of Gajapati, Ganjam, and Puri, added the Meteorological Centre.
* Fishermen are advised not to venture into the deep sea area over the central parts of the Bay of Bengal on May 9-10 and over Northwest Bay of Bengal from May 10-12, as per the weather department.
* Fishermen whoever out at sea are advised to return to the coast by the morning of 10th May.
(With inputs from agencies)